>>As for build systems, I think that shake
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/shake> is probably good to have ...

That would be great! I plan to export the syntax tree of an ATS program
into JSON.

>>On the ATS front: I am curious as to how ATS optimizes tail recursion. I
know Scala doesn't actually optimize tail recursion (unless the values are
of the same type) which is immensely limiting in practice. A lot of
interesting stuff (e.g. monadic recursion) relies on such optimizations in
practice.

It is pretty straightforward. After typechecking, proofs are erased. Then
the compiler marks each recursive call that happens to be a tail-call; each
marked call is converted into a local jump.