I've currently got a mythbuntu 8.10 system installed consisting of a
backend and 4 frontends one of which is an ATV that I managed to get
up and running a few years ago.

My mythbackend is starting to get problems, I believe the hard disk is
failing. Ideally, I would like to upgrade the backend to the latest
mythbuntu and keep the ATV running on 8.10

Has anyone had any success running different version frontends and
backends? I'm really just looking for ways to keep my ATV running
mythtv.

As mythbuntu 8.10 Intrepid is now depreciated I'm wondering how I can
even go about maintaining this system for the next couple of years.
What do you suggest I do.