Mosè Giordano <m...@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm personally generally in favour of moving the release process
> entirely to ELPA!

Ditto.

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2024 at 14:17, Arash Esbati <ar...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> • Archive current master as auctex-13, and keep main as default branch.
>>   This means that every commit generates a new release on ELPA-devel.
>> • Archive current master as auctex-13, and introduce a new intermediate
>>   default branch, say develop or some such.  And then merge into main on
>>   a regular basis.
>
> My only comment is that I think it'd still be valuable to keep having
> stable releases (published through ELPA) every now and then, just as
> it is now, and not go full "every commit is a release" mode.

That's already the case.  Every pushed commit on the main branch [1]
results in a new release in the GNU-devel ELPA repository for the
adventurous users and every change in the Version header results in a
release in the stable GNU ELPA repository.

Of course, if major changes are to be made, one can still split a new
feature branch off main where changes have no effect on what's published
until they are done and merged back to main.

> For example proper releases are useful to take the time to summarise
> notable changes (git log is good for developers, but not as much for
> end users), and in particular better explain what to do with breaking
> changes, when they happen.  And in general I think downstream
> packagers tend to prefer "stable releases" to "pick a random commit"
> when given the choice.

Arash has already started writing a proper user-centric for micro
releases in NEWS.org on the main branch.  That's also visible already on
the ELPA auctex page: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/auctex.html

(I just saw that we changed the "[Unreleased]" heading to "[14.0.6] -
2024-06-30" after publishing 14.0.6.  A chance to improve next
time. :-))

Bye,
  Tassilo

[1] Actually, not every commit or every push creates a release but
there's some cron job on the ELPA machine that pulls every 6 (?) hours,
checks if the branch changed, and creates a new release if so.