Re: Swamp, zombie fps by Aprone

bcs993, while many games do lead up to a final boss fight, I would not say that this goes hand in hand with games that increase in difficulty.  From the simplest unending games like Pacman and centipede, to strategy games like Sim city, and up to the MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, all of these games get more difficult without providing any actual end to the game.  There are more examples then I could ever list, but even the "endless" games stuck with the idea that the longer you play, the harder the game should become.

In pacman, each level made the ghosts faster and the invincible pellet wear off faster.  In Centipede the enemies were faster and more numerous.  The Sim city games became more complex as your city developed, so each disaster was that much harder to get under control in order to restore the city to balance.  The MMORPGs throw harder and harder creatures at the player, and the more active games continue to release new content so that even the highest players will be challenged.