Re: Domain of heroes

I've actually been thinking about doing a recording of at least part of one of the games using translation, and maybe a playthrough. We'll have to see where that goes, if nothing else I can try to write up a text guide compiling most of the things I've said in other topics all in one place. If anyone is familiar with Cavi, or Cisco Academy for the Visually Impaired, they do these things called CaviCasts every week or so, and one of mine was a gaming podcast where I explained how to play console games, how to translate japanese games the old way, and then Drew played a bitof Swamp. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where this is or really know how to find it, or I'd link to it here even though some of the information is out of date.

Dark, I think you're biggest problem in getting into these games is going to be having to switch screen readers briefly, or do it the extremely hard way. I don't know how opposed you are to using NVDA, but t hat and the InstantTranslate addon are the easiest way to play the games so far. Otherwise, your only option is to paste the automatically copied text from the clipboard into google translate. This can get really bad in games like Brave of Cloudia, or games with long menues, but pasting dialogue and battle turns that way isn't too horrible, it's how I played all the games accept Brave of Cloudia before the InstantTranslate AddOn came out.

Hmm, I never thought of that, actually. Interestingly enough, Brave of Cloudia and Cave of Marvel are both written in ruby, and I think the text game maker morokuma used to make his other 10 games was wwritten in ruby as well. Yukio uses a scripting language called Hot Soup, and I can't remember what MM uses. But I suppose it does make some sense. It's too bad american developers don't put more things like that into their programming languages, we might actually see more RPGs then.

Grif, since I'll probably be writing up a guide at some point in the near future anyway, I'll just go ahead and post the links for the 3 major developer sites there. As for recommendations, Alternative Magic is definitely one of my favorites. It's about this world that pretty much runs off of magic, that has this school where kids are sent to learn how to use it. You're playing as a boy named Nero, who was born without the ability to use magic, and about all the trials he goes through to first try to graduate, and then trying to unlock his magic. It's got a lot of good plot. He often gets discouraged because his friends can use magic, and everything he tries doesn't seem to work. And it's got one of the more advanced battle systems for the Text Game Maker. I think it's really cool. Brave of Cloudia is also awesome, but unfortunately it's only complete up to the last dungeon, and we have no idea when he's going to complete it. Still, there's at least 15 to 20 hours of gameplay right there if you don't mind hitting a stopping point, very nice tactical RPG with a ton of customization options.

Pelantas, good job on the description of the accept and decline things. I totally forgot about that.

Anyway I'll see about writing up that guide soon. I'm stuck into the Kingkiller Chronicle right now, but I'll try to pull myself away from it long enough to get something useful done, haha.