Re: jumping from xp to 8!

@ryok

To access the control panel in a much more simplified fashion do the following:

1.  open the run dialogue with windows r and type control panel, then hit enter to launch.

2.  Once in the control panel, you should land in a search box.  Tab once and you should see a category button.

3. Hit space on this button.  This will bring up a context menu.  Once in the menu, down arrow to small icons and hit enter to save the change for future use.

The menu will close and all of your control panel items will be displayed.  While they will not be in a list as they were in XP, you can navigate to them with first letter navigation.  if you need to know everything that's on your control panel use the arrow keys similar to how you would use them on the desktop.

if you plan on using the windows default folders for documents, downloads, music, pictures and so on, accessing them is as simple as bringi ng up the run dialogue and typing in the name of the folder in question.

WinR, documents

WinR, music

AS usual, you can still place items on your desktop like the recycle bin, your user folder, network places, and so on.

1.  Go to your desktop and make sure that nothing is selected.

2.  Bring up the context menu by performing a right click or hitting the applications key.

3.  Tab over to the "change desktop icons" button and hit enter.

In here, you'll see a list of checkboxes.  Check the ones you wish to appear on your desktop, then tab to the ok button and activate it to save your changes.

I've yet to find a way to list programs in an organized fashion, but bringing up the metro start screen and typing out a program's name has become so much a part of my life that I hardly care.  I'm sorry I couldn't be of help in that particular problem.  I just find this practice a convenient one, since all I need do is type team for TeamTalk, game for QuentinC's gameroom, computer to display all of my hard drives and such, and then I hit enter after typing whatever it is I want to bring up.  Obviously this isn't for everyone, and some people don't care for it, so I hope someone else will fill in the gaps I've missed.