Re: I'm finishing a roguelike for the visually impaired

fastfinge wrote:

You should really look at entombed; it sounds similar, if not almost identical, to what you're trying to do.

Yes indeed, it is the same thing, but mine will have a lot less content. At least on the first version. I plan on keep adding, but It may never be as complex. Of course, that won't stop me. I'm downloading it right now. Thanks!

As for the other posts/questions:

Editor: I'm not planning on creating one standalone editor. But all my code will be open and on my GitHub, so anyone can use it as they will.

Fighting system: It will be the same as in any roguelike, its turn-based, so your manual skill or reflexes will have nothing to do with the outcome of the combat. And of course, the damage won't be always the same. Your strength and weapon will affect how much damage you make, your dextery the chance of hitting, and the target armor will avoid some of the damage. Like a classic roguelike. I think there will be no crits on the first version. One of the things I want too add later will be a crit system. If you make a critical attack, you may disarm your opponent, or stun it. And of course, you will make much more damage. I don't know yet, those are things that I want on my game, but, technically speaking, will add almost nothing to the project or the grade I will recive. A God sytem is another of those things.

And I forgot, of course. The dungeon generator makes rectangular rooms joined by corridors. I think that's the best way to describe it and it is the best way to remember it and be aware of your surrounds (if you look at DCSS maps, for example, those are impossible to describe on an easy way, and almost impossible to move arround it only with audio).

Also, the game will be using a text-to-speech engine. That's the final part of the project, so it is still not very clear, I'll keep you inform ed. I was not planning on using sounds besides the tts engine. Actually, sometimes the creatures make sound, but all you get is a message like "You hear something roaring to your northwest". I gotta update the first post.