Re: I'm finishing a roguelike for the visually impaired

Sebby wrote:
O_Luso wrote:

And I forgot, of course. The dungeon generator makes rectangular rooms joined by corridors. I think that's the best way to describe it and it is the best way to remember it and be aware of your surrounds (if you look at DCSS maps, for example, those are impossible to describe on an easy way, and almost impossible to move arround it only with audio).

I hadn't heard of DCSS up until your post. I did a bit of Googling, but turned up only the specifications for map creators (which were certainly complex enough as they were). I don't know the nature of the maps. Could you explain it? I imagine that if it is architecture-heavy, you would inevitably need to include a complete free-form navigation system, which would probably not be appropriate for single-key advances in a Rogue-like.

First thing first, I lo ve DCSS. It has TONS of content, also.

As far as I know, a blind person can play DCSS on terminal with an screen reader. On the podcast talked about that.
And the maps on DCSS are a mix of random generated maps and premade maps by hand. So you can encounter a map whose walls form a skull on the minimap, or a star, or something like that. But most of them are randomly generated (actually, is procedurally generated, but in plain terms, its random). So make a way to describe all the maps in an usable way it's too complicated for my project (I'm not even sure how I would describe it to someone in person) . Heck, there is even a map called the labytinth, with a minotaur at its end that changes over time!

DCSS includes an autoexplore feature. If you press 'o', your hero will go directly to some part of the map that is unexplored. The problem is that it chooses said part pretty randomly, as far as I know, so when the hero stops, a blind player will be c ompletely lost and will have to explore all the surrounds again. It stops automatically if you encounter a monster, step on a trap, or something like that. Also, you can press X and then > and it will show you the nearest downstairs. If you press enter, it will take you to it.

My game will have the autoexplore function and the "go to upstairs/downstairs". If you ahve already found them, of course.

I hope I explained myself well enough.