Re: I'm finishing a roguelike for the visually impaired

@Dark: completely agree that environment was totally compromised in Entombed. I don't fault it for deliberately combining exploration with movement, but still, there was absolutely no suspense whatsoever; you were either under attack, which as you say happens to be a significant part of the entire game, or you weren't in which case the best environmental effects were underfoot and doors. smile

Never heard of Kerkerkruip until now either; thanks for letting me know.  It sounds quite a bit like the labyrinth in the Reliques of Tolti-Aph.