Re: if your an audiogames fan, read this

I've said Open Al Soft is the free option, about a billion times.  You could buy the big libraries, but Open Al Soft can put you leaps and bounds above pitch/pan.  camlorn_audio will make it easier, as soon as I go and finish it, but nothing stops you from using Open Al Soft or cammlorn_audio in its current state.  I am not speaking specifically about this project anymore.  I honestly don't understand why the Audiogames community can't have better sound; what part of better sound is inherently undoable?
And if you buy one of the  bigger libraries and are you're making something commercial, especially if you're going to make multiple somethings commercial, it will pay for itself.  Not right away, but in the long run.  If your game is commercial and costs the same as Shades of Doom but sounds 2 to 10 times better, then people will buy it (yes, it does have to be fun, too).

And secondly, stop reading about Dead Space sound and then saying you can't.  Applying filters is trivial.  These areticles are called marketing.  It seems to be working, even on people who won't be purchasing the product.  The commercial libraries I've mentioned are up to those standards, and are used in hundreds of big budget titles.  Before i started camlorn_audio, I spent about a month researching this topic to find out what I could use and how bad it'd be.  They may have spent 2 years on it, but that's not two years on the audio as you seem to think.  About 75% of what goes into such a game for the sighted is programming, graphics design, graphics programming, core engine work, script writing, gameplay design, things like that.  The remaining 25% is audio.  Sighted people don't care about audio, so when a sighted game says that it offers a superb audio experience it's not nearly as good as you think.  If everyone tried, this community could easily surpass 99% of sighted games in terms of audio.  Sighted people get the audio in combination with graphics, and choose to focus on the graphics.

For the price of the most expensive BGT license, I could go download almost 2000 sounds: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/con … undeffects
There are a lot of other resources like that one.  I can't speak to the quality of them at this point, but the samples are promising.  We'll be purchasing something for our own project soonish.  If that one isn't good, though, there's a lot of competition to pick from out there.

  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: SLJ
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: leibylucwgamer
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Ethin
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
  • Re: [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: articuno