Re: Discrimination in a theme park

I am one of 3 family members who are blind, and we've never been discriminated against at an amusement park. But I'd like to share the account of how one unnamed airline became non-smoking. This might seem made-up, but believe me it's true. I know that for a fact. This happened several years ago when my family and I were returning from a very nice vacation in Florida, and yes we did go to both DisneyWorld and Epcott Center. I think we also spent some time at Bush Gardens, but it must not have been a lot because I don't remember it that much. We also visited some friends in the Orlando-Tampa area. But anyway, back to the airline. So we drove to the airport and the rest of us waited in the ticket line while my father returned the rental car. Then he came back and purchased our tickets. However, our assigned seats were basically scattered throughout the plane and my father was not happy with this. Some of us had been assigned seats in the smoking cabin, and 2 of u s have medical conditions. So he politely asked the ticket agent if she could make a change in our seating. The agent became very defensive, and my father in turn became quite defensive. A shouting match ensued, and a sighted sister of mine went over to see it. Keep in mind we were still kids at the time. My father then asked to speak with the agent's supervisor, who was very nice and apologetic. He quickly fixed the error, and when we returned home my father wrote to the president of the airline in question requesting that there be a "no smoking" policy implemented, and they complied with his request. So there you have it, the story of how one major airline went from smoking to non-smoking.