Re: Where do you get your music?

@Dark: fair enough, I agree that this is the point where we agree to disagree. I think that was the conclusion of the last conversation we had on this subject, too. I hate to suggest that your opinion is not relevant--it's entirely relevant--but I can see that it's quite sufficiently settled that I'm not going to change it.

As to motive, well it's certainly known that Apple intentionally locked iTunes to iPod, and that this occurred at a time of pronounced music sales through Apple's store. That at the time the store came into effect, most of iTunes true virtues as an awesome jukebox faded into the background. No surprises there, none at all. And of course the store was selling DRM, so people didn't have a choice about where they played their music after purchasing it from the store, with the locking to iTunes guaranteeing that no other store could take its place. That was then: DRM is since gone, but the tie-in between iTunes and iOS and iPod i s still strong. So, if you don't like libraries, you will find the process of using iOS Music unpleasant. I will stress again, just one more time: you can use iTunes to sync files outside the iTunes library, without using it as a player. You just have to provide some tags, in any application, in order to get meaningful track names on your iOS device. This will be the case for anything you buy from any music store now, for example Amazon. iTunes lock-in, for me, is now entirely limited to the DRM in Apple's other stuff--films, TV episodes, etc. I do not regard these as valuable enough to fret over the portability of them, and will never buy DRM content I regard as valuable, only CDs and DVDs. In this regard I believe we are both similarly philosophically aligned.

As for the Sovereign, it definitely handles subdirectories. I have no idea why it has such a wide mainstream appeal, but I can certainly see why many blind people would like it a lot. It really is braindead s imple. Perhaps, as you said, the appeal is in the simplicity. My old USB2 memory stick containing wav files of the audiobooks in their original subdirectory layout is handled just fine, one directory per press of the reset key, no matter the depth of nesting. Very nice. The rips that originally came from my iTunes library had to be converted to MP3 or WAV which is easy enough to do. RNIB delivers the book files already in MP3 on the root of their little drives. Anybody can get these now from the Talking Book Service. It really does feel like the good old days of listening to talking books.