Re: Where do you get your music?

Excellent.

Now back that content up; you don't want to lose your hard work. And buy a second SD card (they're cheap) and a fast card reader. Also get some decent speakers and/or headphones, if necessary, for round-the-house roaming. I'm only sorry the Stream doesn't have Bluetooth.

Reset the iPod: Settings, General, Reset. Erase all content and settings. Now you can flog it. As an added courtesy, flash it to the latest firmware using ... uh, never mind.

Clear up your iPhone. Settings, General, Storage and iCloud usage. Check out what you have, and delete anything you can't get from the cloud (i.e. the stuff you sync across that can't be obtained from Apple's stores or from content-downloading apps such as Podcasts). You lose this content by performing a full reset as above, so make sure the cloud is on for anything you need.

Now look more closely at the list of apps on your PC. Apple Software Update and Quicktime merit spe cial attention.

Now look through your PC's filesystem and possibly also the registry. Purge every last trace of Apple you can find. Make sure, of course, that you intend to do so first; for example make sure the stuff in your library is all accounted for.

And, as you Merkins delightfully put it, you're done! I'm glad you've found your happy place.

My main music library is over 70 GB and a lot of it in lossless formats. Alas, I can't share in the fun. Fortunately for me, I personally don't need to. Unfortunately for me, this issue will come up again pretty soon when I move my media onto my NAS. Wish Apple would get their shit together and provide a half-decent server solution. Meantime, iTunes Match works. Yes it requires iTunes, but if I really wanted I could use something else because my Internet connection is quite good. When I move to a NAS, I'll have to stop using Music and go to another app. Drat. But let's not rehash al l that.

As for your dislike of Apple, is it not possible that some customers simply _like_ the way that Apple does things? Even if they don't _like_ the way Apple does everything? And do you also not think it possible that, in some cases, the good will outweigh the bad? Or that, viewed objectively, Apple has the best solution available for solving a problem, of all the different possible approaches, even if you factor in the compromises necessary to deal with Apple's other priorities (read: love of money)? (Substitute "Apple" with whichever favourite fanboy brand most suits for the given situation and "Love of money" with "Privacy invasion" as necessary; they're all the same.)

As a technologist, I wish I could get all worked up about these issues. As someone just trying to enjoy my media, phones, computers, whatever, not so much. smile

And seriously, feel free to donate to the FSF, to help their campaign against DRM and proprietary software. We could all use a little help there. Every bit counts. I donate whenever I can. Their Defective By Design campaign is particularly wonderful. The EFF also warrants some attention for their work in the same space.

As for Internet Explorer, I'm afraid there's bad news for you coming up; MS will only support whichever version was last supported on any given OS. Details here. So, you'd best make plans to move to another browser to keep your security.