Re: The Accessible *BSD Effort

@king gamer 222: it wasn't speech from the machine itself. It was an installation operated entirely over a serial line, from installation to usage. The "Client" was Windows, or Linux with Minicom or SSH. Ultimately I stopped using it because, while I loved NetBSD, this was clearly a very unsatisfactory way to use it. Perhaps, when I get a VMWare virtual machine accessible in the same method, only using Unix-domain sockets on the host instead of physical hardware and RS232 ports and a null modem cable, this can be both tolerable and desirable again.

Meantime, if you want to use the console, you need screen and BRLTTY for braille, or something like YASR for a screen reader. This latter uses a pseudo-terminal device, and tries to interpret the screen content much as a software emulator would, which makes it portable but also somewhat less reliable. Neither approach will let you, for example, interact with the getty that runs to accept your login, so you will need to make some compromises.