Regarding Lack of Formal Independent Outdoor Travel Training

Hi everybody. I'm wondering if this has happened to any others in the United States and if so, what did you do about it. To cut right to the chase, I have been denied formal O&M instruction until I get a good paying job. I actually approached my state's Client Assistance Program awhile back about this, and they opened up a case for me. After some negotiations took place, an O&M instructor called me and we set up a time when she could come out and do the necessary paperwork and assess me. Well, she came out and we filled out the necessary paperwork. I'd say there was a little less than I expected, but still given the sort of training it was to be there probably shouldn't have been anything to fill out. One of her questions was what was one thing I felt we needed to work on together. My answer was street crossings, i.e., knowing when it's safe to cross. The streets in my area are very busy. So she then took me on a walk around the block in order to a ssess my cane skills. She was very impressed with those. After all, I have been a cane user since I was little and I am now 39. I think it's safe to say that my cane skills are very good. So after assessing those she and I began working on a street crossing, one which I think is pretty difficult even for someone with perfect eyeballs because there is so much traffic. Aside from the possible installation of an accessible pedestrian signal, the one and only solution she had for me was a card. Yes, a single card, which she had laminated. On that card was "I'm blind, could you please help me cross the street?" The exact wording might be a bit off, but you get my point. She had me practice with that card. The first couple of times she acted as the sighted passer-by whom I was to ask for help. Then, she had me do it on my own and she just waited patiently at the other side of the street. I had to basically hold the card out straight, with my elbow slightly bent, so tha t someone would see and hopefully approach me. I'd say that people around here are for the most part very friendly and willing to help out when necessary. This is most certainly true of the other people living in my building, and of the past residents here. However, as with anything this solution is not perfect. So I think what I'm also wondering is, how do others in these pages feel about the solution which I have just described? Additionally, how do you cross the street safely? For those of you who rely on accessible pedestrian signals, just how effective are they? Oh and btw, that instructor only worked with me for about 3 lessons and then abruptly stopped.