Re: getting a new iPhone, some help needed, please

Great thread and some nice opening suggestions for apps here. Think I've got everything now. The number of things I do on my desktop gets smaller and smaller over time, and I just seriously wonder whether desktops are even cool anymore. smile

I think it's fair to say that iTunes is like marmite: you either love it or you hate it. Although perhaps it's also fair to say that the proportion of those who love it will be more on the Mac side, and those who hate it on the Windows side, for the usual reasons. smile

@Dark: if you don't have an email address for the lady, you can always create an iCloud.com email address during creation of the Apple ID. If you do this, that email address becomes the Apple ID. You can still add alternative email addresses and they will be reco gnised as the Apple ID, but after that point, you can never disassociate the iCloud address, which will always be active and receiving mail even if you are no longer using it. So think carefully before committing to that course of action. If you now plan not to use iCloud for any reason, don't use iCloud Mail to sign up. Of course, as the forum's resident Apple salesman, I am here to tell you that iCloud Mail is very easy to set up on any Apple device (obviously) and allows access using IMAP and SMTP from other clients, so you aren't locked in, if that should be the concern, and it is an otherwise very convenient choice for iThings. The accounts support server-side filtering (needs webmail access on desktop), knows how to autoreply and forward, does limited spam filtering, and gives you three additional "Aliases" which are addresses that come back to your primary account.

Yeah! I really hate those stupid security questions. Just make stuff up and forge t it; it's a stupid countermeasure. iCloud supports the use of secondary email accounts for recovery, so use it. Or better yet, set up "Two-step verification" (i.e. two-factor authentication) and thereby avoid all this bollocks.