Re: I need fantasy book recommendations

If you like the salvatore stuff, brandon sanderson would be a good move onwards, his stuff is easy going but clever and very well paced with quite a bit of action.

David Eddings writes very fun fantasy with a slightly ironic twist that you might enjoy, rather light in places and where you know the good guys are going to win, but still hugely good fun with lots of action and danger on the line, I think you'd enjoy them.
By him I'd particularly recommend The elenium trilogy, ie, the Diamond throne, the ruby night and the saphire rose, and his Belgariad, pawn of prophecy, queen of sorcery, magician's gambit, castle of wizardry and enchanter's endgame.

David Gemmell is someone you would like if you enjoy action. His books are often about warriors, usually in dark settings or times of war.
In particular I'd recommend waylander by him, the story of an assassin seaking redemption, and Legend, his very first novel, though he has written a lot of stuff not all of which I've read.

If you want something much darker but also more adult and complex (with lots of violence slaughter and nastiness), I love! george R R Martin's game of thrones series. Not your stadnard D&D, but very compelling if you can get into things and unlike someone such as robbert jordan or robbin hobb doesn't require too much by way of reader investment.

Tad williams I'd highly recommend, again, a little more character rich and complex than feist or salvatore, but extremely good stuff and not too hard to read, also not as long or complex as game of thrones, especially his memory sorrow and thorn series.

Jim Butcher's dresden files isn't actually high fantasy, it's a noire private eye detective (called harry Dresden), who is a wizard in modern day chicago who encounters various cases involving demons, the fae, vampires etc.
Silly, and harry himself can be a right winjer, but good fun if y ou want some fluff with big explosions and lots of magic, though for that urban fantasy genre I'd recommend tad williams bobby dollar series, (though I didn't personally enjoy bobby dollar as much as some of his high fantasy or sf stuff).

Generally the sort of fantasy I like best personally tends to be the deep, character based introspective stuff (I'm about to start the malason book of the fallen by steven ericson), though I don't mind a bit of fun sometimes.

Right now I'm having a break from fantasy and sf and reading Phantoms by Dean koontz on my lady's recommendation. I've disliked the Koontz I've read previously, but according to my lady those were his worst so I'm trying phantoms which is much more your creepy abandoned town and lots of corpses style horror.
But that's definitely modern day horror rather than fantasy.

Btw, I have written book reviews for lots of stuff, as have others, so you might want to check out www.fantasybookreview.co.uk. You will find reviewews there of all the authors and books mentioned here, as well as recommendations, so if you went onto the pages for R A Salvatore you could probably see what people recommend that is similar and then try to get it.

You can find my reviews under dark.

Hth.

Btw, the only Salvatore I read was his novelization of Attack of the clones. Any others you'd particularly recommend?