Re: getting a new iPhone, some help needed, please

@afrim: I think you need another app like VLC if you're playing from the cloud automatically. There are also other apps that can simulate network drives, which play music, and you should look into those. The only way to make use of the Music app in iOS is, as you've noticed, to go through iTunes.

For your tag-killing exercise, you could do worse than to try something like these. Once the files are in iTunes they assume the names of their tags, so you want to kill the tags before importing them. Of course, you also have the option of telling iTunes not to automatically add to library anything you point iTunes at (option in Advanced preferences, don't copy files into music library or some such), which keeps the filenames exactly as they are (because the files were not moved out of wherever you pointed iTunes at), but then using iTunes itself to edit metadata (Get Info) so it's correct. That 9;s a better long-term strategy IMO, since it makes it easier for you to sync and/or match as much of your content as you want in future and get correct metadata showing in iOS for any number of "Albums" and "Artists". Still, for the quick-'n'-dirty solution you're going with now, tag-killing and playlists should be all that you need. And yeah, it's a shame iTunes does not support this kind of folder-based operation, but at least you can show a complete list of "Songs" for now. Perhaps tell Apple you'd like it, and if enough people feel the same way, it might happen.

@Dark: at the risk of bringing this old argument back again, which probably won't change either of our views on the matter, my point is that Apple is giving people the one choice they actually want. And by "People" I mean the 95% who use Apple products, oblivious to the technology or the way that it's potentially limiting them. I use Apple stuff because I can (largely) live with these restrictions, and the alternatives are just horrible, not because I agree with all of Apple's anti-consumer practises, or accept as gospel the one true Apple way. In the case of iTunes, I'd say that a lot of the hatred is unfounded, but that's mostly because I can live with iTunes and don't see any meaningful restrictions inherent to it. You can avoid or replace anything you take issue with (protected content, mostly) and iTunes runs on both Windows and Mac. I never need to transfer from my devices, because I maintain all my content and never store precious files in the cloud, and I appreciate all of the organisational benefits iTunes offers and the fact that it processes file tags. Now, I can see that in your case all this is not true, but (at the risk of sounding mean, which I most certainly am not intending) that's not the norm, and most people at least tolerate iTunes for the few things it's needed for, or simply use alternative cloud-based (or at least network-based) services (including Apple's own) that don't require iTunes at all. And in any case, now that you have your Victor Reader Stream I'd say your dislike of iTunes has reached its logical and inevitable conclusion. For mass storage, and the ability to organise with file names, you paid a price for an awesome player that does exactly what you want. I for one am happy for you. smile

For audiobooks, what I do is set track and disc numbers on the tracks, and then iTunes plays them in the right order. Means you need the tag editor however, if you don't already have working tags. Oh yes, and they go in the Music section and not the Audiobooks section. smile

I don't know then what you'll do for email. Mac Mail is quite simple, but it's certainly more complex than iOS Mail. Apple have been gradually whittling the features away though, so you might like it. It's certainly very efficient for VoiceOver users, even compared to TB on Windows.

I don't use file-based cloud services. You're right; it's mostly about documents, although content creators need the space for videos and other things like that. However while iTunes on a desktop is running, you should be able to open the context menu while a song is selected and choose "Show in Finder" (or Explorer, on Doze). In this way you can find the files you need to keep, organised by default into Artist\Album structure, with the disc and track numbers at the starts of file names so they sort lexicographically.