Re: FYI: DRM is Evil. Very, Very, Very Evil

Hi.
I agree.
its one of the reasons I don't use steam.
Aparently a friend that has it really gets pissed as some stuff he buys may come on a cool dvd 4gb in size however all the patches and non included content needs you to download another chunk of stuff and yeah he doesn't like it much.
I brought audible book one of them to try it.
I can see it if I actually brought a book and kept it but after reading the book and after a reformat due to a crash it was like, read it, and don't care to bother again.
There are places you can buy the books on disk though I have yet to read the books I got on cd either just yet.
Now as for the person who has access to the underground network.
please click the link on an email and tell me how to access that network, what it is, and how I can get access to that.
In the early days I had access to such networks for tv, software and books over ftp, but they died all of them just died.
Not because they were sued but because they were home hosted nets and well.
Anyway I did have another I got a lot of text from but to be honest I have exhausted its entire catalog of material.
Codex is a calibre frontend
Its buy james scholes.
its project site is
http://github.com/jscholes/codex
and its stable download page is
http://jscholes.net/project/codex/
It is supposed to convert drm books like adobe aditions epubs etc.
Now while this does not always work for all things, some books authors have a homepage and it may be able to get non drm versions by explaining to the authors and asking for it explaining you are blind.
Ofcause The book I got was a local book so who knows.
Next bookdepository.com imports books, audio cds, etc.\
Finally amazon does have audio cds of stuff though I don't use them at all.
Also find a l ocal store that handles fast delivory, stuff like fishpond.co.nz or mightyape.co.nz these are nz only but there are probably stores just like them all over the place and these stores may do international shipment I have never needed to try but you can look.
The advantage of mighty ape and other stores like these are that they are local stores with warehouses usually in a town or city close to where you live.
Example mightyape is a store who's warehouse is close to where I live and its a 24/7 store.
So chances are you order and get it the same day if not the next day.
I ordered something at 10 pm at night.
It was shipped at 9 am in the morning and came to my door at 5 pm that day.
Another feature of this and maybe other stores is that its quite blind friendly.
That is that as well as being accessable, it emails you each step of the order.
1.  when the order was recieved and when it was payed.
2.  when it was shipped and when that arrived.
This means no waiting for ups, just wait for the mail and get it.
You will have to pay for signing your order saturday delivery and gift wrapping and gift wrapping aint worth it because I tried.
In one order while the front of a disk case got dammaged the disk itself was good and while I am sure I could have complained and got a replacement it wasn't worth it for me.
To be honest services like this are great.
I have issues with deliverys requiring signatures.
Firstly while I am now a yung man, I have never felt safe opening the door to strangers.
And while most of those are nice enough, door knockers, including charitys, churches, salespeople, and stuff really get me well I don't know ancious.
I actually don't have any way to really defend myself if something bad ever happened so I keep the door closed and have been advised to never open it, unless I need to.
I have had times where I am hot and with family ha ve had it opened, and some church or something comes past.
Now I have no issue with churches, and religion or charities but since I am a disabled person and automatically put in the poor helpless charity cases catogry it means I am now a natural target and while thats fine for stuff I want its not fine for getting it unpreparedly getting it thrown in your face or shoved in your face.
I joined a friends christian group for a year in school and while they were nice enough, I became a natural target.
I endured it for a year then bailed.
Later on that same group got into some trouble with the law and well I was happy I got out of that.
Another issue I have are weird events, I was signing for a package when a puppy walked inside and I didn't know, I was asked if it was my dog which I answered it wasn't and it was handled well however delivery drivers are usually on the go, and running here and there and well not all are that nice in general.
I also have issues where stuff is left in front of the house stuff I never ordered others did, like wine which blocks the steps to get to it so I have to either look and get it or get it before I go outside.
Thank god I actually can put instructions where to deliver orders and how to put them.
If I can say anything about the delivery lot it is that in recent years, while I can sign, it must be taught that because I am disabled that on behalf signing works so they don't actually need me to sign anymore which is fine especially with their touch devices they use.
I know I may have drm content I use but staying away from it as much as I can is my idea of fun.
Music wize, you can buy a disturbing lot of it for 10 bucks a lot.
I payed for 31 bucks local some stuff called pure music which included party, dance and a few other things including different world music.
Over what I brought there was a lot more stuff from different years, movie soundtracks and differ ent styles under the pure label.
I am not sure if this is all with the industry changing and piracy, however as long as you don't mind buying a mash you can get a lot of stuff for not much and as long as you are happy with 4 and up disk sets of stuff thats fine.
Actual albums and local newer compilations do cost a lot though.
A lot of stores actually encourage you to pay for electronic, yes buy a cd, but you have to pay 20-30 bucks for it.
half the price for electronic.
One store I have used actually has it where you can buy the raw tracks unencoded.
In raw format so instead of buying tracks you could buy the raw files in raw format so you can make them anything you want.
Some store like bandcamp you can actually buy the disk but have an immediately available digital download and some stuff while I have brought on cd I would have been happier to buy in digital as only half the order showed up ie 2cds and 1 showed up.
And the store then di dn't seem to be interested in returning my mail about it.
I don't mind the 40 bucks I payed for the set, but I will never shop at that store again for whatever reason!