Re: FYI: DRM is Evil. Very, Very, Very Evil

In answer to whether DRM is evil, my answer is no. What is evil are the companies that mis use it. What is mis use? Mis use is DRM models that clearly force you into a situation of actualy renting the content you purchased.

As an example, consider TIconBlu's Inquisitor, the game only allows five activations with no indication of whether they will consider any requests to reset the activation count should you need it. I know I was ignored when I asked, so now I can't play the game because I can't activate it anymore. The end result of this is that I no longer trust TIconBlu, so I will never buy anything from them ever again.

There are other reasons why I wont buy anything from TIconBlu , but for this argument, just their DRM restrictions is enough.

What would have been more appropriate would have been to have the activation count reset every one or two months.

I also bought Eloquence for SAPI from Code Factory. A couple of months ago its DRM f orgot my registration data so I had to reactivate it. What I don't know is how many activations I'm allowed and if it can be reset if needed, or will I have to purchase it all over again?

I generally try to avoid software that requires online activation, but that is slowly disappearing as more and more programs require online activation.

That is one of the primary reasons why I don't use Steam, or Electronic Arts, or Guide Dog games. What happens if they should go out of business? Some Steam users say that Valve Software would release some solution so they could play their games, but nowhere in their service agreement that you have to accept to set up an account is that spelled out, so its more likely that they'd just close and all the games you bought through them are just gone.