screenreaders and kanji

Hi,

I was just doing a bit of browsing and noticed that on a Japanese website two Kanji together where actually pronounced completely differently to the both of them read separately. I know Kanji have several readings and was just wondering how a screenreader would ever know when to use which?
I am thinking of picking up the language again and this behavior fascinates me to no end. How is it done, some huge dictionary or ...?

Balliol