Python development on the mac

Hi there,

Tl;Dr: How do you guys develop Python stuff on the Mac? Is it possible?

I've done some light Python development in the past, mostly thanks to SoundRTS. I used Visual Studio and its Python tools and it was a pretty good experience. I then tried the same thing for TheQube and for some reason it was just not happening for me. So I stopped for a while.

Queue getting a new job (wooo) that needs a bit of Python, I thought I'd pick this back up. I recently got my grubby mitts on a Mac, and in the spirit of cross-platform development, thought I'd try learning to do Python some more and thought I'd try it on the Mac.

Oh the horror!

Or at least, frustration. I started out by going and grabbing Python for the Mac (3.5 I think), which I saw comes with IDLE (a Python IDE). I love a good IDE, well, Visual Studio made me love IDEs. It then said I had to go grab some new TK and TCL bits (that means Transaction Control Language to an SQL guy like me but apparently this is different). Okay, I didn't know what it really was, but grab it I did and install. Happy days, right?

So I use Spotlight to jump into IDLE and try to use it with VoiceOver. Aw hell, it's not accessible.

So now what? How would I go about doing Python development on a Mac? Is it possible with VoiceOver? Is it worth the extra hoops, or am I better off retreating to Windows?

I've had various VO problems getting used to the Mac, even on things like Safari, but I'm blaming some of that on it being El Kapitan. Maybe this is to blame here?

Any advice appreciated.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : truecraig via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : truecraig via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : truecraig via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector