Re: Oculus Rift + 3D sound

It would help if you gave us an idea of what you'd like your game to be.
Making a game accessible for the blind is actually quite simple. You just have to convert the things you see into some kind of audio clue. For example a person's health meter might change colors depending on how low it is. To make this information available to a blind individual, rather than having a synth voice read out the change, you can simply add a small noise or even heavy breathing to indicate low health.
I know in the VR space it's possible to touch objects. Since the sense of touch doesn't transfer with VR headsets, you can have a short description of the item read out by a screen reader as the player comes into contact with it. The same can go for rooms. Sounds and text is enough to convey most anything. You can take a look at the screen reader NVDA as it is free, and open source. It offers all sorts of ways to communicate with your programs. You can even have your ga me copy the text you wish to have read out to the blind player and an add-on in the screen reader will read it off automatically. In fact I believe Skullgirls used this method for some time.
My personal advise would be to make a horror game. Audio is the best at scaring the crap out of people.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sightless Kombat via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ggunhouse via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ggunhouse via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ggunhouse via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ian Reed via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ian Reed via Audiogames-reflector