Re: New computer,what should I go for,mac,windows etc

Part of the reason I suggested the model that I did was because it lacks Apple's signature bullshit over the last few years.

E.G. glued in place battery, components directly soldered onto the motherboard, a casing that needs a special screwdriver and allot of patients to open, and overly expensive  periferals for basic functions such as Ethernet, CD/DVD playback, a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter if you want to use most preexisting power cords at schools and businesses when you forget/break yours, and a mini display port to VGA adapter if you want to use the kind of older projectors and screens  that institutions still have all over, as well as a mini display port to DVI adapter if you want to use a more modern high resolution display.
Did I mention that most of these don't work with Windows even on boot camp? Or that the 80 dollar super drive doesn't even have blue ray support? Which means you'll probably have to go hunting for altern atives.

This earlier model comes with a very good slot type CD/DVD drive built in, it's actually the super drive, just internal and slimmed down.  It also comes with relatively easy to replace memory and hard drive, as well as user serviceable fan and heatsync, though you may still need a special screwdriver which you can buy online to do so, but that's the price you pay for that protective aluminum clamshell casing that will keep your computer safe from most falls, and at least it won't warp or break when your taking it off like the newer models can.

It also still supports Windows 7 natively, and it's hardware is up to date enough to be useful for at least another 2 or 3 major versions of OSX and Windows, based on the way that minimum system requirements keep shrinking every time.

As to Apple selling refurbished, yeah, they do, and the article I linked goes into more depth about that, among other things.

To Fi gment

Firstly, the older latitudes are the only ones that are built that well unfortunately, the new ones are just stapled and glued together crap, with quote on quote armor coding that comes off when you scratch it with your fingernail, this is as of 2012 or so, and I know this from personal experience as I had to take one apart to clean the fan.
The acidic binder in the glue also burned off a layer of skin from my hands, which sucked but wasn't like, E R worthy or anything.  Still, I had to let it burn it's self out, because water didn't do much, and of course I couldn't read any warnings that might have been there.

Also, my best friend has a Macbook Pro that's lasted him around 8 years as well, and the only reason he got a new one was because the hardware was seriously out of date.
This goes along with several other acquaintances over the years who've had both Mac laptops and all in ones that have lasted until t hey were no longer relevant to today's software requirements.

I don't exactly know where your getting your information Figment, but where ever it is, the source is obviously highly biased.
Macs have, and always have had, an excellent track record in terms of longevity, and so do some other laptops of course, the Lenovo T series, the Panasonic Toughbook, some of the chromebooks, depending on manufacturer of course, and many newer ultrabooks that took their cue's directly from apple and started using diamond  cut unibody aluminum casings and flash only storage.

But even before that revolution, the ahead of it's time aluminum casing, combined with the apple care plan and the carefully selected hardware and streamlined firmware to keep it at safe levels of operation kept those laptops alive long past what you'd expect of them.

I'm not an apple fanboy by any regard, in fact I'm quite unhappy with them right now do to the ridiculous price of their laptop chargers, along with the quality control issues for screens and logic boards from the factory, and when I get a cellphone I'm planning on going with a Motorola G or Blu Life X1, both running the latest version of Android, and at this point I find the Dell XPS series and a handful of others to be a better deal over all than the latest MacBook models, but I also won't flat out deny the facts just so I can attempt to internally validate my preexisting beliefs about an entire tech ecosystem either, lest I be rightfully labeled as a brand elitist.  smile