Re: email problem in states

Port 25 blocking is happening pretty much everywhere, at certain ISPs. The problem is that port 25 is always the public SMTP server port, so if left open, it can mean anonymous, unauthenticated spam from bots direct to mail servers. Hence, block the port and force people to use the "Submission" port, which typically requires authentication and/or security (but not always).

I understand it, but I'm not a fan, myself. I'd rather the port be blocked by default, but that the customer be able to unblock it in their own home gateway, or by quickly submitting a form to the ISP. JMO, but port 25 blocking is just what the ISPs need to force you to use their own email services, the cheeky bastards.