Re: New computer,what should I go for,mac,windows etc

I'm sorry for missing these newest few posts, not sure how that happened, but basically, Sebby and Exodus are right about everything. LOL
Well, accept for the fact that Exodus thought that you were getting an I7 and Sebby is working on an entirely different level of knowledge... big_smile

Anyway, as to the memory, 16GB is totally unnecessary for a laptop, as any one application needing over about 2GB is probably going to max your processor out before your memory, and cumulatively you are extremely unlikely to ever reach above 6GB, as well, even if you have like 8 Windows open at once.
If you are running boot camp and not a VM, and you don't use a professional grade media converter/editor on a daily basis, than you will likely never even hit the maximum even with your preinstalled 4GB, but an extra 2 or 4 is nice for peace of mind, which is why so many pe ople suggest it (just encase).
The whole thing is essentially just an enormous dick measuring contest anyway, especially when you get into gaming computers, and manufacturers have done an excellent job convincing the average consumer that more RAM equals better, one hundred percent of the time, when really, that era died 10 years ago, and memory clock speed and bandwidth matter a whole lot more.
That said though, even upgrades on that front have a negligible impact on over all performance, at least the kind that can actually be felt by the end user instead of being measured using points on a graph for bragging rites.
The CPU's efficiency is far more important in real life, within reasonable limits, that and switching from an HDD to an SSD, or upgrading the firmware and drivers to the latest versions.

Now, as to the processor difference, I think that's already been summed up quite well here, but what your actually asking is weather you can still d o all of the things you do now even with the older one, and the answer to that question is yes.
Well, I mean obviously I don't know about every single program you use, but Jaws, most audio games, email clients, and web browsers will almost certainly work in just the same way as before, and any possible slowdowns will be small and easily neutralized by the addition of an SSD, which is why I suggested one in the first place, well, that and it's just better in every conceivable way...
Either way, both of those processors well exceeds the minimum system requirements for almost all of the standard programs you might encounter, and by standard I just mean not high powered applications for specific, intensive tasks that most people wouldn't need to trouble them selves with anyway, the only difference is that one of them exceeds it even more.

Now in terms of hardware and durability, you can easily buy a hard, padded case for a Windows laptop that will pr otect it nearly as well as the Mac's will when in transit, and while the Apple warranty is going to be better, it also seems like finding a shop where you are wouldn't be very easy on short notice, unlike an HP or Dell store.
That said though, even with an SSD, the Mac is still going to hold up noticeably better to drops when out of a case, so you'll just have to be more careful with a Windows laptop, but even if it does break, replacing parts will be much cheaper than a Mac if it happens out of warranty.
So really, both have their pros and cons, but it's nothing that can't be significantly improved with some common sense and basic caution, either.

Still, you should try and remember the concept of future proofing when making your final decision, E.G. will buying a computer with older hardware mean that in 3 or 4 years, I likely won't be able to keep up with technology at all, and if so, will I be missing out on anything that actual ly matters to me? or will it all just be a series of high priced gimmicks, rather than true leaps forward.
Looking at the current trends, most of the upcoming groundbreaking technology is either theoretical and iffy in terms of security or practical use, mostly visual based, or only potentially available to the research, military, and enterprise sectors, which means it's going to take a while to trickle down to the home consumer level anyway.
So barring anything not only crazy but also extremely fast growing happening in the next few years, your Macbook will still be able to keep up, even if the HP will probably keep up better.
However, there is no point in having a class pacing machine that breaks before it can show it's value, even if the HP and Dell in question are both quite good in terms of that, so it's ultimately up to you if your willing to take that risk.