Re: NVDA remote's security

The customer is most certainly not always right. I'm going to have to agree with the developer on this one. I understand why people are concerned, and I understand that this has been abused to gain unauthorized access to certain people's computers.

The problem, like Roelvdwal said, is that NVDA Remote is completely open source. Any form of encryption or protection would just give people a sense of security that isn't actually there. Anyone who knows what they're doing can head over to the Github and figure out what needs to be done to retrieve the key. I also really like his idea about IP whitelisting. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. That's kind of how I have mine set up right now. My router only allows connections from my other IP on NVDA Remote's port.

Finally, I'd like to point out one more thing. I have a feeling that more programs store information that can easily be retrieved than you know. Chicken Nugge t, TwBlue, FileZilla, and TeamTalk are just a few examples off the top of my head. This isn't just something specific to Remote. The developer wasn't just making stuff up when he said that we take a risk every time we open an executable file. We do, and that's something you have to be aware of.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mohamed the weirdo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mohamed the weirdo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mohamed the weirdo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : livrobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : livrobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : danny via Audiogames-reflector