Re: Monthly chat August 2016

Hmmm, documents folder being hard to get to strikes me as annoying, since i use my documents a lot for writing many things reviews, notes work, poetry etc aside from the few games and such that like to save in there, though I'd like to turn off the uac thing altogether if possible. %90 of all of the problems I've had on xp have been due to user account locking, definitely a case of security that inconveniences more than it helps. I'm glad the C drive itself is still usable though.

I know the start menu and program groups have gone which is really irritating, since I always liked organizing my program shortcuts in the start menu on xp according to whattype of thing they are, eg, I have an audiogames folder then games grouped by developer, also a text games folder and one for media programs.
it's just a personal thing but I much prefer shelving and organizing my stuff this way than being reliant on a search function, it makes it far easier to s ee what I have and get to what where, indeed on xp the only time I use desktop shortcuts is when creating shortcut keys for stuff I need often such as outlook express.

As though the start menu in 7 was something of a pest and I've heard the one in `10 is considerably worse, I'm guessing I'll probably just have to do as my lady does and create a hole bunch of desktop folders and subfolders, including ones for things like favourites.

That's actually one thing I don't like about the Iphone, the fact that organizing shortcuts isn't easy and a fairly minimal process, (only one level of subfolders, a limited amount of information per page and needing to constantly scroll to new pages and flick through etc). I know there is a modern tendency with information to throw as much at the screen  as possible and let the user visually scan and pick out what they want (or touch with a touch screen), I've seen it in tree diagrams in programs, rib bons, desktop interfaces on both mac and windows and even .
I prefer though myself the older system of having stuff you can shove in lots of compartments and submenus until you need it, it just feels more tidy and also means your not looking through a bunch of things to find  what you want or being reliant on a searchbox and auto complete all the time.