Re: BrogueSpeak, an accessible roguelike

Hello,
@Lazycat, First, let me thank you for making this game accessible to us. I am a fan of rogue-likes, so this is a special treat. May I suggest a few modifications?

At the moment, navigation is quite cumbersome. Exploring the map is great, however it would be quite nice if we could have sounds when there is an opening. This would be very important, because there are cases when an opening is one tile only.
Having 8 different sounds for openings is quite overwhelming, but you could have 4 sounds for the 4 directions. They way I imagine it is 4 different wind sounds with different pitches. North-south ones are coming from the centre (i.e. both sound channel volumes are 100), while east-west ones are panned to the left or right, having one channel's volume muted. If this is not manageable in-game, you could pan the wav files in a sound editor, then just play it as a loop as long as there is an opening. Please let us know if you need help with this!
The r eason why I am suggesting this is because if you can see the screen, you can scan the map fairly quickly, however, even in explorer mode it takes a bit of time to explore your surroundings step by step.

Another feature worth having is the ability to scan at least in the 4 cardinal directions, so for example shift+4 would scan to your left up to an object, such as a monster, wall, door, etc. This would be quite useful when trying to keep your range. True, you can use the tab key after each step, but this would be a much faster option to focus on one direction without having to explore, especially with monsters and navigating around traps.

Could you please reword the explorer mode when you are on a tile which is out of your view? For example, instead of saying: "You remember seeing a (objectName) here', it could be: '(objectName), out of view'. There are a lot of cases when you want to scan the map quickly and you don't necessarily care about the f act that it is out of view, because the object/tile name is more important.
One example I can mention is I found a one-tile wooden barricade that I could burn down to find 4 rings to choose from, I assume it was a treasure room. This would've been quite hard to find without looking around.

Stealth adds to the game, however I am not sure how it works at the moment. I have seen monsters die without being noticed, does it matter what direction monsters are facing? If yes, could you add the direction they are facing when you are targeting them with the tab key please?

When you are saving and loading, you can enter a name. Could you please add a spoken prompt when these happen?

I read on the wiki pages that you can start a custom game. It would be nice if we could customise how the game behaves, e.g. start out with all the items identified, maybe save after each floor is complete, etc.

Once again, thank you very much for your hard work!

Rob

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Niklas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : LazyCat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : LazyCat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : LazyCat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Niklas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : blindndangerous via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : robjoy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : robjoy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : blindndangerous via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : LazyCat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : robjoy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : LazyCat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : LazyCat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : LazyCat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : zkline via Audiogames-reflector