Re: Well, PS4 accessibility has ground to a halt, it seems

Well, this isn't an assumption... the reason this came about is because of the ADA that changed recently requiring home media appliances to have some form of accessibility. That's why the ps4 and XBOX1 started to receive improvements in that area... Microsoft just went with it. How can I tell? Because both of these accessibility features are only available in the USA. I'm basing it on that, and the fact that in Sony's case, I can't believe the programmers didn't do research on other screen reading software to program something that would automatically decode everything and encode it into synthesized speech, instead programming the system to only read the things they code in. Also, with the latest numbered upgrade being so pushed by the developers and playstation, why haven't we seen any major improvements when everything else has gotten an overhaul? As to assuming NVDA will not happen, again, ps4 is not windows based, and NVDA was programmed in a windows environment, so they would have to rewrite the whole thing from scratch. As to why I would prefer it? No reason particularly... because honestly I think trying to put NVDA on the ps4 is like trying to put Voiceover on Windows. The environments are completely different, and NVDA on ps4 would just be a different screen reader with the name on it. I would prefer it for the soul reason that it's already meant to read everything it can on screen as opposed to specific parts that have to be added.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. Like Death said, and because of the ADA from last year, I don't think we'll get game consoles that are 100% accesible, at least not in the near future. We can be optomistic, and if the ps4 or xbox1 get more I am going to be over the moon. but I just don't see it happening. And to all those who say the ADA is only part of it, I put this question. why haven't Microsoft or Sony made those features availa ble in every part of the world? Microsoft especially, even though you can cheat by switching the language to US English to get Narrator, why should people have to do that if the ADA isn't a really relevant part of the feature? Apple's voiceover supported many languages from the start. So did NVDA. lol Again, I appologize if this sounds contrary, irritated, rude or anything else negative... just my thoughts. Not trying to challenge anyone here.