Re: PCS DOS games now on Audio Games Archive

As far as I understand it, the talking dosbox should theoretically run everything since it emulates a dos environment, it's just that what Pitermach has done with the talking one is somehow get one of those old dos screen readers working with it by default, though everything else should theoretically be the same as on a dos system. This is why i'd like to see a tutorial or something similar before I go creating pages for the dos games in the database, indeed such a tutorial would be useful generally for the dos games we already have like Fallthru and aemon deluxe.

As regards your games specifically Phil however, one thing I have seen people do is include preconfigured versions of old dos games that run with dosbox by default. I have one of the old graphical (and unfortunately not accessible), game turrican 2, another of prince of persia 2, and another very fantastic one for prince of persia which even has a standard windows property sheet that lets you play alsort s of mods and extra packs and such for the prince of persia game.

These are awesome since you can essentially pretend they're windows programs, you just start the thing up, then dosbox starts, then the game runs by default and you just close with alt f4 to finish, indeed you don't even need to tangle with dosbox at all if the initial configuration is done, indeed that is what the eamon deluxe developer did with the graphical version of Eamon deluxe, though sadly the dosbox text isn't readable by a windows screen reader and needs a dos screen reader running instead.

Perhaps you could discuss this with pitermach, since he's been so heavily involved with talking dosbox and has got it running successfully.

Even if you can't do the preconfigured versions thing though, a guide would be awesome, especially since a lot of newer gamers won't be familiar with dos, heck, i've never used dos myself as though i learned to type on a machine with windows 3.1 when i was 13, I did nothing on it but run word perfect and I didn't really get into doing anything more than word processing on a computer until windows xp came along by which point dos wasn't really around anymore.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : turtlepower17 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : janagirl via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : janagirl via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : janagirl via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : janagirl via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : jack via Audiogames-reflector