Micro SD Card Transfer Speed on my Mac

Hi all,

I have a question about a micro SD card I am using with my Mac. I have a 64 GB micro SD card that I use with an SD adapter. When I transfer content, I have noticed that the transfer speed is extremely slow. Opening Activity Monitor shows that data is being written at around 7 or 8 MB per second which is very slow. What's the issue? I am using the dedicated SD slot on my 2013 MacBook Air. I think the SD card is class 10, so speeds should not be that slow. What's going on? Is the adapter slowing speeds or is it the micro SD card itself? I just don't think USB 2 speeds are normal.