Re: What kind of server would you recommend?

Hi again.
So, I'm starting to get the basics., but I still have a lot of things to learn.
I have created the users I need, and I need to read about the different groups, permissions etc. because I have no idea on how this works.
I'll also take a look on how nanoedit works, since I need that later on. Seems interesting.
I'm glad I'm starting to get the basics how things works. I just need to get used to the ls command, which prints things out which is difficult to read, because multiple files and folders are on the same line, and folders aren't mentioned as folders but just empty, like filenames without an extension.
My first goal is to set up a Teamtalk server.
I have downloaded the compressed file by using the gw command, and the file got downloaded to the right folder. This is really a useful command.
However, I'm not sure on how the tar command works. There are a ton of arguments, and I find it difficult to figure out what I need. There is -x to extract, but it fails when using only the -x argument.
So I looked it up on Google, and someone suggested some other arguments, I think it was f and z, but without any explanations. I tried that, and the Teamtalk file got extracted into a new folder with the same name as the file. I want to choose a shorter name if possible, but don't know how to do it. However, I gave it a try and entered the folder.
The tt5srv file which is the server file don't have an extension, which I find pretty weird. So because of that I'm unable to start the server.
I have searched on Google how to install a Teamtalk server, but again, all the explanations I find don't make much sense to me. I mean, what's the point of typing a lot of random commands when you don't know what they do? I'm trying to learn while doing this, so therefore, I'm not up for typing in random commands which I don't know what do...
 smile
So, any clue on what to do? Do I need to install something extra, or have I extracted the file incorrectly?