Re: Kickstarter Project for "A Hero's Call" from Out of Sight Games

I'm going to throw my two cents into this hat in agreement with Assault Freak. How can we expect and request accessibility and audio features in games made for the sighted if, when given the chance, we try and persuade developers to prioritize audio features at the expense of visual features which will entice and engage sighted players? We need to avoid the proclivity to ostracize based on stigmatism's and prejudices, else how can we expect likewise from those self-same players we've inadvertently or otherwise alienated?

A Hero's Call is not meant to be a strike back at the mainstream market nor a game to exclude one market while lauding another. I think the venture is meant to be a bridging effort, to show sighted and blind players alike that they can indeed share a unified gaming platform, undertake the same quests and share the same trials. If we demonstrate to them an unjustly deserved notion of negativity or vindictiveness by relegating their media n eeds purely based on the fact that their gaming market already has enough titles that fulfill that criteria, we're defeating the purpose of the project. Sighted players will simply scoff at the game and, indeed, go and play other games. What kind of community will have been built, what kind of outreach will we have made, other than to impart an impression of victimization?

I have every confidence that Out Of Sight will endeavour to the best of their ability to avoid this negative connotation, having already witnessed their commitment to not just the blind players, but to all who may be interested in the game. I applaud them in their altruism, neither decrying one group nor championing another, but instead seeking to unite both towards a fun-filled end. Please continue to do what you do, and don't let others dissuade you from your choice to build a bridge, rather than a wall.

Congratulations on making $10,000! Now, about that 5d6+10000 sword...
Kai

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hannes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : flame_elchemist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : blindndangerous via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ZK via Audiogames-reflector