Re: The redspot drama with lord london (andreas)

Here's my bit of self-help for today. This is an exerpt from the Dragon Ball Training Guide. I hope this inspires you to go over 9000!

When you want to make an omelet, you have to crack some eggs. Set a goal and commit to it. But remember, commitment means sacrifice. Kid Gohan's (forced) commitment to training meant he couldn't study, enjoy being spoiled by his mother, hang out with his woodland pals, or enjoy his favorite hobby, crying. Later in the series, college-age Gohan commits again when he sits still for over 24 hours, allowing Old Kai to unlock his hidden potential. When we make a goal, we have make sacrifices to achieve it. Gonna pass the JLPT? Invest time in studying. Gonna lose weight? Better forego movie theater popcorn and a skip those bar crawls. Like Gohan, we all have to make sacrifices when we commit to a goal.

Piccolo removes his weighted hat and armor before battle. Kid Goku often stretched and warmed up with calisthenics. The Z Warriors prepped for battle by donning their battle gear – at least until said outfits got torn to shreds.
Tell your body and mind that it's go-time by maintaining a routine. Create a regimen around whatever you're preparing for. Do the same warm up, down the same drink, use the same writing utensil, and repeat the same mantra whenever you practice. In A Fighter's Mind Tim Ferris writes, "Routine can help us enter Musashi's mind of no-mind or the zone… It's a kind of relaxed super-competence." Routine can help our minds relax, fall into a rhythm and perform without distraction, overcoming the distractions and nervousness when we finally face our challenge.

Goku didn't rest on his laurels when he pulled off his first kamehameha, or when he beat Piccolo to win the Tenkaichi Budokai Tournament. Goku's constant progresses redefined him and what it meant to be Saiyajin throughout the series. In his book 10-Minute Toughness, Jason Selk calls this the "Plus One Concept," The best way to climb a mountain is to take one step at a time. (The) +1 concept (is) the idea that success can be achieved by meeting a string of basic, incremental goals in the present that will will ultimately lead to excellence in the future… Believe in yourself and your ability to make gradual improvements, and the results will follow." As with Dragon Ball's cast of characters did, expect gradual "plus one" improvements as you work your way to your goal. When you achieve one goal, set another and aim higher. Passed the JLPT level 4? Congratulations, now aim for level 3. Ran a 5k? Try a 10k. Watched 20 episodes of Dragon Ball in a day? Next time watch 21. In Turn It Up! Jeffrey Spencer states, "Even though most people want an easy life and think it will give them the life fulfillment they seek, my experience tells me that the happiest people are those who perpetually seek goals and whose lives are appropriately challenged, so they remain alert and focused on moving forward to a better future." New challenges keep life interesting, satisfying and therefore happy.

Okay, maybe Krillin isn't the best example, but thanks to a series of badass teachers and foes, Goku became one of the baddest beings in the universe. Goku learned the kamehameha from Master Roshi. He pushed himself to learn King Kai's Kaio-ken technique and the Genki Dama because of Vegeta. Majin Buu led him to Super Saiyajin 3, Beerus pushed him to Super Saiyajin God, and the list goes on. Like Goku, surround yourself with people above your level. "Badasses hang out with other badasses…. Make friends with successful people. If you want to become better then you need to allow the good influences of other people to rub off on you. Let them bring you up to their level." Whatever your goal, find a great training partner or a rival. Let them push you. Learn from them and improve. Want to learn Japanese? Find a senpai or native speaker. Want to get better at a martial art? Train with a higher belt rank. Want to become a great cook? Learn from a master chef. Had training with mediocrity satisfied Goku, he would have never defeated the likes of Piccolo, Vegeta, or any of the other threats to earth. Thanks to the laundry list of badasses Goku faced and trained with, he became the supreme badass we know today.