Re: Keyboard Controls for action/adventure games

The last time will have been before online gaming and broad-reaching joypad APIs were common. So... MK4 and emulators. Then Emulators fell off because the game companies release their own on modern consoles.

Meh, I still feel weird about ASWD instead of ASWZ. The former is like PC arrows, the latter is more like a traditional D-pad, and if I'm playing a game with lots of multidirectional commands (so... fighting games, mostly), ASWZ feels much more intuitive, to me. I do think ASWZ would be weird for, say, Swamp.
And the idea of swapping movement / action hands feels weird to me, too, but apparently it's less troublesome than it sounds, based on how popular it is.

FTR, the above has been my general rule in projects since starting this thread--the more fast-paced multidirectional stuff, the more likely we're using ASWZ. Otherwise, ASDW. And the arrow keys are always an option. Naturally, if beta testers strongly recommend changing up the defaults, I& #039;ll change the defaults and keep my configuration for my personal copies.
(The troublesome thing about input more complicated than directions + spacebar is that it makes one-handed input much harder, which makes braille output less practical, which makes me a sad panda. If I could get BGT to treat the Focus14 as a joystick, that would be the awesomes.)
(... I mean, I've beaten people at Mortal Kombat Deceptions one-handed while eating a cookie with the other. But it is not something I'd like to make a habit of. ... WAIT! Why aren't DDR pads more popular for fighting games? I mean, before the Wii and Kinect. Someone once told me he got a Grey Parrot to do OK at Soul Callibur via DDR pad (after the parrot complained that the controller wasn't fair tongue ). Umm, if BGT recognizes the PS4 D-pad as buttons instead of an axis, maybe I can imagine using a PS4 con troller one-handed for some of these, but... umm... ... What is it about braille that gets me rambling for several kilobytes?)