Re: deadland a new audiogame by grproductions!

Muhammad Hajjar wrote:

Again, as usual, a sidescroller which you kill enemies. Oof, that's exactly what bgt starters always do, which the comunity have had enough of.

Oof, that is perhaps the most discouraging reply I have ever seen. New releases is for posting new releases. And as stated by the forum FAQ:

28: Can I post practice games, or alpha or beta versions of games?
Absolutely, people on the forum are likely to be a useful source of feedback and suggestions. Bear in mind though practice games might not be suitable for the database or news see The database guidelines for more details.

So I don't see why we have to be so pessimistic or push a dev down before he can stand up.

With that said, I do worry that because code was borrowed and there are still acknowledged bugs, that this game might have a slow start. I only say this because it would take me days to do even this much, if I could even put it together at all, as I am a horrendous bGT coder. Even so, I personally wouldn't want to release something as rough as this, but that's a personal thing and no doubt everyone is different. So what I am essentially saying is that this could either break through the realms of practice games, or it could be forever trapped there if the dev decides coding is not for him and suddenly vanishes. Because BGT is intended to be an easy starter game creation language, and because of the myriad of source code available these days and working examples in the BGT manual, it would be possible for someone, with very little knowledge of BGT's actual syntax, to concatenate something together from the fragments of working code they have which someone else wrote, with likely only minor modifications to change values and such. Then when something wasn't working for whatever reason, or they wanted to p roceed to more complicated stuff which required them to actually write original script, they would be stuck. I myself found myself in this situation, which is why I bring it up.

Before we start predicting what will happen though, let's at least give him well-earned support and encouragement. To do otherwise, imho, really slags a community's reputation.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Muhammad Hajjar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : revan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : turtlepower17 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tysonsylvester123 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : abdullah_mohammad via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Muhammad Hajjar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Cocoa via Audiogames-reflector