Need help Need Help with Lost Souls

Lost Souls is a medieval fantasy MUD that is very deep and complex, with many things to do, places to explore, etc. I am new and wonder if anyone here has played it and can offer some assistance. I just don't get it in general. For one thing, I don't like the prompts in combat, I can't stand that stuff as it always makes me miss what's actually doing on, second, I don't know how to learn new skills, 3rd, I really don't know what to actually do outside of combat, which can end up fatal for me. So, are there any seasoned players out there who can lend a hand?