Re: Some Python QUestions

Ethin wrote:

@magurp244, you have a point. However, I do not see any reasons why we should still use it. The only reason I can think of is that there are still more libraries available for Python 2. The rift created by the two versions is quite good for us. If you have read the changelog for Python 3 you will find quite a bit of new things. Python2 is worse than Python3: it has multiple string types and is generally harder to use. If people would just use the tools the PSF has provided than this wouldn't be a problem.

Python 2 is not actually harder to learn, nor to use than Python 3. The syntax is nearly the same, some classes were renamed and some new features added, but nearly nothing removed. Always thought that more string types could somehow be positive? The string-decision Python 3 now includes internally, which reduces the string types to just one type at all, produces some significant overhead whi ch can be kind of time-consuming on some time-efficient algorithms, just to name one case where Python 3 can be less efficient than Python 2. Yeah, you can reduce this overhead with some intelligent casting, but as soon as you understand this way of coding, you should also not have any problem learning Python 2.
I think it's cool that he looks into Python, no matter which version, and I also guess it's the wrong way to tell him anything about "use this, don't use that", since this will just cause confusion on his side of the line. Could we just stop discussing this stuff? Python 2 is absolutely alright for some beginners, and if he knows Python 2 well, thanks to the python 2to3 utility provided by Python itself, there shouldn't be any problem switching to Python 3 afterwards.
For now we should just concentrate on answering his questions as best as possible.
Best regards.
Hijacker