Re: Quests, quests, quests...

@Caccio I have heard of elite but haven't played it to the graphics being inaccessible, though I have had friends who were fans and I myself have always enjoyed games like the Metroid series (at least until they went and made the dam things 3d) that do allow exploration so I sympathise, although to me I believe your perspective little too harsh here.

I don't agree on core exiles as I said, since I view the quests as part of the game world but I don't think this is something we will agree on.

For browser based mmorpg suggestions, the problem is all the best mmorpgs I know are very heavily quest based.
For example puppet nightmares works through a story you play in chapters and more of the world is unlocked as you go through the story.

There are plenty of mmorpg games with no narrative content at all, but they tend to be more of the grinding and less of the exploration variety.

Likewise, I am tempted to recommend the smugglers series, which people have described as turn based elite, however even in those your game progress is very much based on your ship type, eg, you cannot initially leave your starting star system until you've bought a ship with jump engines and cannot do boarding actions until you have a ship with crew compartments.

If you had access to android or Ios I think the star traders game might be what your looking for that has no narrative quests to do, just lots of exploring, trading, bounty missions, different sort of random effects etc.

For the kind of game your looking for online I suspect your best bet are muds.

Muds are multiplayer online games which are connect to by a mud client program which send text directly to your computer in real time.

There are some good accessible mud clients, I'd recommend vipmud from www.gmagames.com though other people also use mushclient.

Ocne you have your client it's just neces sary to put in the address and port number of a mud to play,some muds even have soundpacks you can download which give the games more atmosphere than just the text.

many muds are rpgs with built in quests etc and very heavy on the combat, however not all.

The fantasy steampunk game Clok is simply a huge online world where you progress your skills, whether that be fighting, crafting, survival etc, as far as I know the game doesn't have any npc quests at all, just lots of different activities and a massive environment.

Lament is similar, though has fewer players and activities at the moment, while Avalon is very heavy on player interaction and though it has npc quests most of what you do is reliant on other players and on what activities or skills you focus on and where you go, ---- I found the reliance on other players a bit too irritating for my part since I couldn't progress alone but your milage might be different.

There are then several muds set in space, the very pvp heavy miriani, which is much as you describe with player piracy etc, cosmic rage, which is imho my favourite though it does revolve around gaining experience in some activities to unlock others, and promethius which I haven't got as far into and personally found a little more coherent.

Hth.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector