Re: A Question About Guide Dogs

shotgunshell wrote:

So I talked to my parents about it because I really didn't know. Apparently, you have to walk 3 miles with your dog every day, which I can't do very easily.

No you don't. It is true that a dog will need walks first as exercise and second to maintain their skills, however where the rather arbitrary "three miles" comes from I don't know, indeed most guide dogs here in the Uk are labradors, retrievers or crosses (with the odd german Sheepherd or labradoodle), and generally speaking most labs and retrievers are fairly laid back, aka lazy.

It's about two miles to the town center which I do a couple of times a week, on days when I don't do that I will sometimes do a walk of roughly a mile, ---- well about half an hour anyway), just as a general refresher, and also give Reever a run in the field behind the house.

Of course, it also depen ds upon the dogs' personality, at least in the Uk the personality of the dog and eg, how much he/she needs by way of exercise  fairly carefully matched to the life style of the owner, so you won't have some bouncy over active puppy left with an old person who walks slowly or some huge, layed back rug of a dog that tires easily with someone who goes hill walking for miles and miles each day.

shotgunshell wrote:

It's also a 10 mile trip to town, and there aren't any sidewalks until you actually get to town. [/Also, they'd rather me use Clay County transportation to get from point A to point B, which I'm not happy about either, I know it's a 10 mile trip but I don't see why I couldn't live in town.

While the ten miles lack of pavements thing is worrying (most guide dogs are okay with lack of pavements over short periods but probably not for a ten mile walk), I& #039;m a bit uncertain as to what this county transportation has to do with you getting a dog.
As has been said most guide dogs, if not all guide dogs are quite okay on pretty much all forms of transport from busses, to trains, to aeroplanes, and indeed in a busy town center is just where you would likely want a dog to help, so if you do decide to live in town, or just visit town  it would be rather useful however you get there. Indeed I wonder if your parents assume that a guide dog is basically a substitute for having a car and that once in a crowded area you wouldn't need the dog.

shotgunshell wrote:

Either way, that's the reason.

As for why I couldn't get a dog in the US, I think it's because we can't find a school that's closer, but I don't know on that 1.

I'm genuinely confused about this one given that there seem to be several schools around t he Us. Indeedd my lady who is in Pensylvania went to the seeing eye which I believe is based in New York.

You mention here Shotgunshell that your parents have basically been heavily involved with this, suggesting that you go to Canida, giving you reasons why not, not wanting you to live in town  etc.

I would suggest discussing this matter sensibly with them, since it sounds like you have been getting a lot of information from them which is perhaps rather strange, or at least biased. maybe it is that your parents don't want you to move out, maybe they are worried about you taking care of a dog, either I do wonder, given how odd these reasons are and given that you yourself don't seem to have talked to this school in Canida to what extent the actual matter is related to the school, and to what related to your parents.
Having a guide dog is hugely helpful in many ways, including with depression,, but it is a major decision and a responsability, and so mething you need to be adult about, which includes taking responsability for things yourself and talking things out with your parents in a reasonable manner if possible.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Kara_Louise via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector