Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

[ a-t ] Draco - Ah, that's an interesting problem, this might require some legal involvement. Perhaps part of the set of standards should include a set of ways to measure capability of certain tasks? I know plenty of blind people who have the physical capability to do heavy lifting tasks and really just need to be told where to go and have a decently level surface to work with. Hell there's one guy I always call if I need something moved haha.

BTW those SJWs don't give a shit about blind people because blindness isn't easily self diagnosed like autism or other disabilities hehehe

[ a-t ] Orko - Of course there won't be an accessibility model for all situations, as our application use grows, the need for accessibility will grow. However, what may encourage more universal usability for the blind is:

1. Establishing a set of improved standards, with legacy support for current standards.
2. Working with distributors of various UIs to try to configure an option that works best for them, as well as work on developing implementation tools.
3. Combine this with a way to "hook" to the screen reader and have it spit the strings it needs.

Currently in my game it just causes the SR to read strings. A hookup with a screen reader's direct controls may have too much latency otherwise, since from my experience NVDA has high latency. Maybe JAWS is different but I don't have money to burn.

[ a-t ] Brad - you should already know that I'm not physically disabled although I have pretty bad migraine aura. I have used a screen reader before out of curiosity because I like experimenting with blindness. But I wasn't trained formally so I never learned the shortcuts. Either way, I don't really think short cuts are an adequate patch - think about it, a lot of people would likely be introduced to the computer in a similarly incomplete fashion. Actual useful accessible design is about imp roving what exists already, not just simply saying, "well a solution exists!".

Remember, a solution for getting across the atlantic to go to north america and europe existed for hundreds of years. However, I don't think for a minute that most people would prefer to take a several day ship ride over a flight of 8 hours. Just because a solution exists doesn't mean it's optimized, helpful or even practical in many situations. This is where engineering comes in.

The point of scripting is to allow users to design their own scripts to customize their experience. Currently screenreaders like NVDA do permit some scripting which causes some preference over JAWS (outside of financial reasons lol). All of your arguments only demonstrate that you have absolutely no technical understanding of the problems at hand here. Even if you are blind, it doesn't mean you actually know what you're talking about.

Essentially, all the things you listed cou ld indeed have bugs, but the point is to allow the user to customize their own experience and have compatibility with accessibility standards on the software side. Furthermore, you don't need to be disabled to be able to produce technology that actually solves these problems. These problems are technical implementation problems, not problems that require you to be blind in order to solve them.

In all honesty I think your approach is completely wrong, backwards and stupid, and counterproductive to actually improving the situation. Just because you are content with your experience doesn't mean it can't be improved and doesn't mean that other people don't need it to be improved. So what if I'm wrong now? Engineering has plenty of wrong ideas. It's about finding the right ones. You won't find the right one if you just settle for what you already have because you don't think it can be any better. Pathetic.

I have no interest in sta rting a flame war but in all honesty your opinions come off as completely unmerited, not useful, and pointless. So if you don't want to actually start one I would recommend coming up with useful ideas to approach the situation instead of acting like I shouldn't care because I'm not blind. Identity politics is a waste of time, stop trying to invoke it here because it reflects poorly on you. I develop blind tech because I genuinely find it interesting and it infuriates me from a philosophical and engineering perspective why it's so ass backwards. Considering that you are the only person in this thread who doesn't agree that the situation is messed up, you should probably provide more useful, tangible evidence to demonstrate why you are right.

I'm not going to post the twitters of these people directly since I kind of need them for promotional purposes and I don't want them to reverse search this thread, but you can find what they're posti ng by searching tags on twitter like a11y or UX.