Re: An attempt to revive Swamp campaigns

I keep thinking I should make new campaigns, but honestly I can't wrap my head around some of it, I know I should be able to, it's idiot proof, but I just can't figure out things like how to apply variables to various situations or nest them and that kind of awesome stuff that Fyquest does.
I didn't even know you could use player x player y as a variable until someone told me, which is really discouraging, because then what else am I missing out on? and it's such a necessary tool as well.
I should try to make some pretty simple ones that are still fun, I think I just try too hard to add all the bells and whistles when you can already do so much with so little effort.

I feel really bad that campaigns sorta stop being made, because Swamp is payed now and campaigns are the most fun that non paying players can have.
But part of the problem is that sometimes you just need a custom map for your campaign, and Cae's map editor is st ill pretty buggy, even if it's awesome that it exists.
You get used to it after a while, but I haven't used it in ages which means I'll have to go through that all again, lol.
I'm pretty sure it's also not altogether compatible with the newest version of Swamp, either, and while some of the default maps are pretty cool, we've pretty much seen them all, so it's nice to have something new.

Part of the problem is also that Swamp limits the volume of ambience, so you can't really add anything more cinematic, which kind of sucks as a sound designer. For instance I wanted to add a truck periodically firing a mounted machine gun out of it's bed into the desert, but when I did it was super quiet and I couldn't do anything about it, and the same happened with a guy fixing up weapons that I wanted to add, it just didn't sound good.
I know that's probably got something to do with how distance from the sound source is calculated for the player, but it still kinda sucks.
Thankfully allies aren't as buggy any more though.

Another thing is that you can't really add new weapons unless it's one that you use a chat command for, and use a rectangular hitbox from the players position to another point. So that limits it to rocket launchers or nukes and such, and it's still kind of clunky.
The weapon selection is thankfully pretty good as it is, but you can't add new ones, or even rename them with a translation file without also effecting the player's normal game.
I wish you could have temporary translation files, but Aprone hasn't updated the game for ages and he probably won't, either.
Not that I particularly blame him but still...

That said, I should really start making some fun, simple campaigns on the default maps again, it's really not that hard and the documentation isn't bad.