Re: VPN for Multiplayer Games Up and running

Ah, I see. Some confusion. Right, let's see if we can clear things up a wee bit.

CPanel is a web-based administration tool. Web hosters and lazy sysadmins install it on their boxes so their customers, or they themselves, can change things about their accounts--web presence, database servers, email services, domain name services, and the like--without having to manually manipulate the server software responsible for providing those services. So instead of changing configuration files using ssh (more on that in a minute) at a command line shell on the remote system, they can just clicketty click all over the place. Not my idea of fun, but important if the machine is shared by multiple users and/or you're dealing with the everyman or everywoman or whatever the technological equivalents of those are.

Ssh (secure shell) provides remote command-line access to a remote computer. You can also use it for the exchange of arbitrary binary data, in file transfers, using sub-protocols called scp (secure copy) or sftp (secure file transfer protocol). These are all replacements for traditional protocols, like telnet, rlogin or ftp, which have existed since the dawn of time for similar purposes, except that ssh, and everything on top of it, is encrypted. Certainly once you have used ssh to log in to a remote computer, you can do many things on that computer, including browsing (in a very limited way) and handling your email. But maybe that made more sense during the DOS days than it does now, in a world of graphical programs. Still, using ssh allows you to do many, many things, and all good server operating systems (i.e., not Windows) allow you complete remote control over them using a command line over ssh.

A Linux "distro" (distribution) is a collection of programs assembled into a unique, whole operating system. CPanel is therefore not a distro. Debian, RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu--these are distributions. I use Debian, myself. I used to use and love Gentoo, but then I discovered that life was too short for that sort of thing, and took it back, before anything really bad happened to it. My life, that is. Gentoo allows you to recompile--that is, completely rebuild from the original text listings of the programs--the entire system. It was slow and involved. Most distributions are binary--that is, they are pre-built collections of precompiled software, and you simply use the binaries supplied.

Right. Any further questions? Perhaps another OT thread is in order, so others can find it.