Recommendations: what audio setups are you using?

Since I started playing audio games, I found my integrated soundcard is a bit lacking in the depth department. I just tested some games with my USB audio device and decent headphones and found I could hear a lot more.
Though I don't want to use that particular device and big headphones on this PC, I would like to know what people are using, and what they think of them. I'll ultimately buy whatever suits my needs, but I'm still interested in whatever audio setup people are using for day-to-day PC use and gaming.