Re: Good dedicated servers/vps?

To be honest, I don't understand why anyone would want a windows server, especially for games. For one, as many have stated before me, it's very impractical, and very difficult -- your battling windows and the game itself. Linux is far, far more popular and widespread than Windows is from a server standpoint. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that 99 percent of all servers on this planet run Linux. Hell, 99.5-99.7 percent do, even. The reason, of course, is the fact that from the start, Linux was meant to be a server-based operating system, although it certainly has branched out into embedded systems and desktops. Windows is simply way, way too complicated to work with as a server; the fact that companies that do sell it as a server have to cut corners just to get the prices as cheap as they are clearly shows that.
As for the DigitalOcean thing, yes, that is a good option, although it certainly has a major issue: the console -- which, you will find, is incredibl y useful sometimes -- is inaccessible with screen readers. No screen reader that I know of works with the Canvas HTML 5 element, which makes that part impractical. Linode's prices are very good; in fact, the benefits definitely outweigh the cost, so I'd highly recommend it. For $20.00/mo with Digital ocean you get 2 GB of RAM and 40 GB of disk space. With Linode you get 4 GB of RAM, 48 GB of disk space, 2 CPU cores, 3 TB transfer, 40 GBPS network input, and 1000 MBPS of network output. Let's also not forget the fact that you also get node balancing, longview, stack scripts, a very usable and accessible emergency console via standard SSH using Cygwin's OpenSSH client, and more.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sorressean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector