Re: Good dedicated servers/vps?

@17 and 19, definitely agree.
@16, Windows server is entirely pointless, and your not going to learn shit about Linux if you go with it. If you want to join the Linux community, then you *** must *** use Linux, no questions asked.
@17, Also, it turns out that in Ubuntu 17.10 Unity is going out the window, thank God! big_smile But I'd wait for Ubuntu 18.04 to actually use it; as Cris Fisher in the Linux Action News for Jupiter Broadcasting put it, "It's just a testing ground, of sorts." (And he was referring to 17.10 by the way.)
@16, Now, if you want to get reaaaaaaaaaaaally familiar with the command-line interface (later on, I mean, not now!), go ahead and give Arch Linux a try. You just might learn a few things along the way, though if you do give it a shot I'd be careful at certain stages of the installation (mainly, of course, partitioning an d the boot loader). But that, I hope, will come later -- not right away.
As Jack has pointed out more than once though, there's Wine and Mono, and now .NET Core to run windows apps (although .NET core is no longer bound on windows). And if you want to run games, you might as well learn Python -- Wine can only get you so far, and it certainly is nowhere near ready to run complicated systems. So, your best bet would to use wine, and if wine doesn't work, give up on attempting to run windows games on Linux. It simply isn't practical. (Then again, programming a server in BGT isn't really practical, either, since it's not cross-platform...) (And no, don't criticize me for that -- anyone who does obviously doesn't know how true that statement is.)

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Green Gables Fan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sorressean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sorressean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sorressean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : SLJ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ElwoodIncow via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector