Re: Installing Windows 7 pro 64bit

Discovered a few things I didn't know about speeding up boot time. Seems the desktop theme and background have quite an effect. I read a forum post that mentioned how a bug caused windows 7 to stay on the welcome screen for 30 secs if the background was set to solid colours. One of the workarounds was to add a registry key called DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout and set it to 5. This helped a little, but the most dramatic change happened when I set my theme to windows 7 basic. It shaved around 15 to 20 seconds off the boot time, and jaws starts quicker too. I'll be keeping 64bit a little longer to see how it goes. The laptop still seems a little sluggish, but that's something that's not as easy to pin down as boot time.