federation II inaccessibillity

hi everyone,
I wonder if there are people among you who have tried to play the space trading mud federation II? If so, please tell me about your experience regarding navigation in space and such, because I've found it to be totally inaccessible. I can't make sense of the map at all, and once you're in space I don't think there's a way to check your coordinates or to see which planets are around you. This is especially problematic in the 1st few stages of the game where you're supposed to do cargo runs to pay off your lone and get a better rank.