Re: I'm hoping to check out android next week, any advice?

The only thing I can recommend is for you to purchase an unlocked phone directly from the manufacturer. This eliminates the need to wait for updates from your carrier. then again, you could always install a custom rom, but that is advanced. You may also wish to purchase a cheaper Android tablet if you simply want to test Android and the screen reader. I can't speak for Samsung devices, but I've heard they've been getting better and better. I'd personally go for stock devices from Google or the Motorola Moto phones such as the moto E or Moto G. Speaking of those, is it true that you can't enable TalkBack when you unbox them? If so, that is unacceptable!